Isaiah 51 - Law of the Lord

“Pay attention to Me, My people .. for a law will go forth from Me, and I will set My justice for a light of the peoples.” (Isaiah 51:4) The Hebrew word for “law” is “Torah,” which we usually take to mean the laws of God beginning with the law of Moses in the first five books of the Bible. Though the law of Moses had been given hundreds of years earlier, the Lord indicates through the prophet that “a law will go forth from me.” This “law” is a part of God’s promises to the people, along with “justice” that will be a light for the people, “righteousness” that draws near, “salvation” which will also go forth.

51:5 “My righteousness is near, My salvation has gone forth. And My arms will judge the peoples; The coastlands will wait for Me, And for My arm they will wait expectantly.”

While the law of God includes God’s commands, precepts, and statutes, the prophet’s words indicate that the law of God represents something bigger than the system of rules that became the highly refined system of 613 specific commands that was a central part of religious devotion by the time of Jesus.

As referenced in the posting “Arm of the Lord,” the arm of God represents the activity of God in the world. Likewise, the law of God represents the ways of God in our life and in our community that create God’s justice, righteousness, and salvation. Ultimately, this way of life, this light of the people, is Jesus Christ, our example, our teacher, and our savior.

Isaiah 42:2 “He will faithfully bring forth justice, He will not be disheartened or crushed until He has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands will wait expectantly for His law.” Jesus showed us that the law of God is not fundamentally a set of rules that we fear to break, or that we aspire to as a means to piety. Rather, the law of God is a way of life in which we place our hope; the kingdom influence in our communities for which, in faith, we work and wait expectantly; a way of life that embodies God’s justice and righteousness in all of its fullness. This law is in the heart of God’s people. (51:7)

Of the law, Jesus said ..
“However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” (7:12)

“‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and foremost commandment.’ The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” (22:37-40)

“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.” (Matthew 5:17)

Law – A precept or statute – torah (8451) approx 300 times in the OT
Precept - Approx 200 times in the NT

42:4 He will faithfully bring forth justice, He will not be disheartened or crushed until He has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands will wait expectantly for his law.
42:21 The Lord was pleased for His righteousness sake to make the law great and glorious.
42:24 Who gave Jacob up for spoil, and Israel to plunderers? Was it not the Lord, against whom we have sinned, and in whose ways they were not willing to walk, and whose law they did not obey?
51:4 Pay attention to Me, O My people; and give ear to Me, O My nation; For a law will go forth from Me, and I will set My justice for a light of the peoples. My righteousness is near, My salvation has gone forth, and My arms will judge the peoples; The coastlands will wait for Me, and for My arm they will wait expectantly.
51:7 Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, a people in whose heart is My law; Do not fear the reproach of man, neither be dismayed at their revilings. For the moth will eat them like a garment, and the grub will eat them like wool, but My righteousness shall be forever and My salvation to all generations.