Isaiah - Justice / Righteousness

I have always been inspired during the Christmas season by the promises of Isaiah 9:6-7: “A child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And his name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and uphold it with justice and righteousness, From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of Hosts will accomplish this.” Similarly, Psalm 89:14 indicates “Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Thy throne; Lovingkindness and truth go before Thee.”

These are lofty and inspiring concepts, yet abstract and difficult to understand. What is this “righteousness and justice?” The word “justice” (Hebrew “mishpat”) is used approximately 20 times in our passage of study (Isaiah 40 through 66) including the first of the “servant songs” in Isaiah 42. The word “righteousness” (Hebrew “tsadak” or “tsadaqah”) is used almost 40 times, such as 45:19, “I, the Lord, speak righteousness, declaring things that are upright” or 51:1, “Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness, who seek the Lord.”

According to Abraham Heschel (The Prophets, p. 200), justice has a meaning derived from the judgment or decision given by a judge, and is a mode of action, whereas righteousness is a quality, sometimes a quality of a person. The two Hebrew words are used almost interchangeably, especially in the King James version of the Bible. So, the concepts involve both quality and action, of the just and the righteous.

I have found it most helpful to keep in mind that the model “judge” is Jesus, and the model judgment is not a verdict, sentence, or punishment, but the redemptive acts that Jesus engages in and advocates. Similarly, the government spoken of in the passage above is not a human institution but an invisible kingdom which has the mission of establishing justice and righteousness after the pattern of the just and righteous king.

Justice / Injustice (approx 20 occurreuces) (mishpat)(4941)
40:14 Whom did the Lord consult to enlighten him, and who taught him the path of justice? Who was it that taught him knowledge or showed him the path of understanding?
40:27 Why do you say, O Jacob, and complain, O Israel, My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause (the justice due me) is disregarded by my God?
41:1 Be silent before me, you islands! Let the nations renew their strength! Let them come forward and speak; let us meet together at the place of judgment.
42:1,3,4 Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one, in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring justice to the nations. He will not shout or cry out, or raise his voice in the streets, A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In his law the islands will put their hope.
49:4 But I said, “I have labored to no purpose; I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing. Yet what is due me is in the Lord’s hand, and my reward is with my God.
51:4 Listen to me, my people; hear me, my nation: The law will go out from me; my justice will become a light to the nations. My righteousness draws near speedily, my salvation is on the way, and my arm will bring justice to the nations: The islands will look to me and wait in hope for my arm.
53:8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away. And who can speak of his descendants? For he was cut off from the land of the living; for the transgression of my people he was stricken.
54:17 No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper; and every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from me, declares the Lord.
56:1 This is what the Lord says: Maintain justice and do what is right, for my salvation is close at hand and my righteousness will soon be revealed.
58:4,6 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked (injustice) fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high. … Is this not the kind of fast I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
59:4,8,9 No one calls for justice; no one pleads his case with integrity. They rely on empty arguments and speak lies; .. Their feet rush into sin; they are swift to shed innocent blood. Their thoughts are evil thoughts; ruin and destruction mark their ways. The way of peace they do not know; there is no justice in their paths. They have turned them into crooked roads; no one who walks in them will know peace. So justice is far from us, and righteousness does not reach us. We look for light, but all is darkness; for brightness, but we walk in deep shadows.
59:11,14,15 We all growl like bears; we moan mournfully like doves. We look for justice, but find none; for deliverance, but it is far away. For our offenses are many in your sight, and our sins testify against us … So justice is driven back, and righteousness stands at a distance; truth has stumbled in the streets, honesty cannot enter. Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey. The Lord looked and was displeased that there was no justice. He saw that there was no one, he was appalled that there was no one to intervene; his own arm worked salvation for him, and his own righteousness sustained him.
61:8 I, the Lord, love justice; I hate robbery and iniquity. In my faithfulness I will reward them and make an everlasting covenant with them.

Righteousness – (approx 32 times)(tsadak, tsaddik)
41:10 Surely I will uphold you by my righteous right hand.
42:6 I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness.
45:8 Drip down, O heavens, from above, and let the clouds pour down righteousness; Let the earth open up and salvation bear fruit, and righteousness spring up with it. I, the Lord, have created it.
45:13 I have aroused him (Cyrus) in righteousness.
45:19 I, the Lord, speak righteousness declaring things that are upright.
45:23,24 I have sworn by Myself, the word has gone forth from My mouth in righteousness and will not turn back … They will say of Me, “Only in the Lord are righteousness and strength.”
46:12,13 Listen to me you stubborn minded who are far from righteousness. I bring near my righteousness, it is not far off. My salvation will not delay.
48:1 .. who swear by the name of the Lord .. but not in truth or in righteousness.
48:18 If only you had paid attention to My commandments! Then your well being would have been like a river, and our righteousness like the waves of the sea.
51:1 Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness, who seek the Lord.
51:5,6,7,8 Pay attention to Me, O my people; and give ear to Me, O My nation; For a law will go forth from Me, and I will set My justice for a light of the peoples. My righteousness is near, My salvation has one forth, and My arms will judge the peoples … My salvation shall be forever, and My righteousness shall not wane. Listen to me, you who know righteousness, a people in whose heart is My law; Do not fear the reproachments of man, neither be dismayed at their reveling. For the moth will eat them like a garment, and the grub will eat the like wool, but My righteousness shall be forever, and my salvation to all generations.
54:14 In righteousness you will be established; You will be far from oppression, for you will not fear.
56:1 Thus says the Lord, Preserve justice and do righteousness, for My salvation is about to come and my righteousness to be revealed. How blessed is the man who does this.
58:8 (6-8) Is this not the fast which I choose, to loosen the bonds of wickedness, to undo the bands of the yoke, and to let the oppressed go free, and break every yoke? Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry, and bring the homeless poor into the house; when you see the naked, to cover him; and not to hide yourself from your own flesh? Then your light will break out like the dawn, and your recovery will speedily spring forth; and your righteousness will go before you.
59:16,17 And he saw that there was no man, and was astonished that there was no one to intercede; Then his own arm brought salvation to him; and His righteousness upheld him. And he put on righteousness like a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on his head.
60:17 Instead of bronze I will bring gold, and instead of iron I will bring silver .. bronze .. iron .. And I will make peace your administrators, and righteousness your overseers.
61:3 (v 1) The Spirit of the Lord is upon me … To grant those who mourn in Zion, giving them a garland instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting. So they will be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.
61:10-11 I will rejoice greatly in the Lord, my soul will exult in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation, he has wrapped me with a robe of righteousness .. For as the earth brings forth its sprouts, and as a garden causes the things sown in it to spring up, so the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise to spring up before all the nations.
62:1,2 For Zion’s sake I will not keep silent, and for Jerusalem’s sake I will not keep quiet, until her righteousness goes forth like brightness, and her salvation like a torch that is burning. And the nations will see your righteousness, and all kings your glory.
63:1 It is I who speak in righteousness, mighty to save.
64:5 Thou dost meet him who rejoices in doing righteousness, who remembers Thee in Thy ways.

57:12 I will declare your righteousness and your deeds, but they will not profit you.
58:2 Yet they seek me by day, and delight to know my ways, as a nation that has done righteousness..
59:4 No one sues righteously and no one pleads honestly.
59:9 Therefore justice is far from us, and righteousness does not overtake us.