Reflections on the 50th Anniversary of the “Schoolhouse Door”

In Honor of William K. Rey, 1925 – 1993

June 11 is the 50th anniversary of Governor Wallace’s stand against the integration of the University of Alabama in 1963. “Segregation forever!” was his well known statement. Thankfully, Wallace did not actually prevent Vivian Malone and James Hood from enrolling at Alabama. A lot has changed since then.

The university that I found as a freshman engineering student nineteen years later in 1982 was significantly diversified. In fact, the black students from Alabama and people of color from around the world that I came to know during my time at the Capstone became a big part of my life then and now. The university experience was for me all that I hoped it would be and much more, preparing me for a wonderful professional career.

Dean William K. Rey was the face of the College of Engineering for me. By the time I attended he was like a legend, having been a member of the faculty since 1946. He served as assistant dean for undergraduate studies from 1976 until his death in 1993. Words from a Capstone Engineer article describe Rey’s impact on diversity in the student body at Alabama.

Former Dean of Engineering Bob Barfield described Dean Rey’s “dedication to students in general, his work in establishing high academic standards, and particularly his pioneering efforts to enroll more minority students in the College of Engineering. The latter effort led to the establishment of the College’s Minority Engineering Program and its consistent ranking among the top 20 engineering schools nationally in minority enrollment and graduation rates.” Capstone Engineer, Spring/Summer 1993, p. 3.

Likewise, the University as a whole has made great progress in this area, becoming a leading state university in enrollment diversity since the historic efforts of Autherine Lucy, Vivian Malone, and James Hood. A university website devoted to the commemoration of progress at the University of Alabama indicates that UA is the second ranked public flagship university in the nation in the enrollment of African American students.

http://www.throughthedoors.ua.edu/perspectives.html

Dean Rey was also my boss for three years as I worked as an engineering residence hall tutor. We also attended the same church, Calvary Baptist Church, and today my wife and I own a cookbook that was given to us as a wedding gift by Dean and Mrs. Rey. I will always be thankful for my time at UA, and for William K. Rey’s role in helping make it a place of opportunity for all.