Confession of Faith

As a Christian, in setting priorities for my words, actions, and commitments, I begin with the biblical accounts of Jesus' life and focus on his teachings and deeds. This leads me to the great commission (share the good news of God's love) and the great commandments (love God, love other people as myself), efforts to do the 6 things of Matthew chapter 25 (1) and avoid the 7 woes of Matthew chapter 23 (2), a hope that my relations are guided by Jesus’ encounters with people such as the woman at the well (3) and the man by the pool (4) and the man in the cemetery (5) and the man who threw a party for his friends to celebrate meeting Jesus (6). I try to be guided by Jesus’ many parables and the discourses from his last days with his followers.

I do not expect to become so accomplished in these things that I have time or reason to publicly criticize other individuals based on disagreements that I may have with them on doctrinal matters, except in personal dialogue as those matters impact my immediate relationship with them or any joint endeavors that we may share. It is appropriate, however, within the tradition of our faith and in the spirit of the prophet role and the teacher role, to express sincere criticism of church teachings and practices that one believes to be inconsistent with message and lifestyle that Jesus Christ exemplifies or are otherwise abusive, dishonest, or clearly harmful to people.

I pray to God that I may avoid expressing my beliefs about God, Christianity, or my fellow human beings in such a way as to disrespect or devalue anyone, or otherwise alienate those who do not know Jesus Christ and for whom my hope is that they have a living awareness that there is a God who loves them and who is explained through Jesus. The fundamental eternal spiritual truth that stands under all of this is that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus represents God's love and grace toward us.

In my aspiration to live up to this confession of faith I have failed often and dramatically. But I have much gratitude for life itself, for God's love for me, for family and friends, for the daily opportunity to know and love others and to try to make a positive impact in the place where I live. From a fallen state, existentially and experientially, I seek redemption, restoration and recovery and share with others in that journey. A wonderful adventure continues ...

A "confessional" approach to expressing faith entails being honest in letting others know where you stand, an invitation for others to share likewise, and a space of openness and mutual respect.

(1) For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.
(2) This is a 7 line poem for which the central element (4th) is the most important, being "Woe to you (leaders) ...for you give God a tenth of the spices from your garden, such as mint, dill, and cumin. Yet you neglect the more important matters of the Law, such as justice, mercy, and faithfulness. These are the important things you should have done, though you should not have left the others undone either." Matthew 23:23
(3) John 4:7-30
(4) John 5: 1-17
(5) Mark 5:1-20
(6) Matthew 9:9-13