Exploring Mission in Mexico

I was blessed to experience a recent week-long trip to the U.S.- Mexico border where I participated in a locally organized collaborative assisting asylum seekers and immigrants with the first steps of travel upon crossing the border. Some of my observations are found in my blog posts for September 12 and 19.

Apart from my volunteer time with the border coalition, I had an opportunity to spend time with Jose and Olga Verastegui with Mexico Missions (Acuna) who were kind enough to show me around the city of Acuna. There I was inspired by people I met in four different ministries. The photo above was taken in the home of (Senor y Senora) Pastor Carlos Rodriguez (center), with the Verasteguis on the left. Pastor Rodriguez leads Centro Cristiano Trigo Limpio and also also serves as an organizer and leader with Rhema Escuela de Ministerrios and the Reuniones Pastorales Acuna, organizations for training and equipping. I very much look forward to a return visit to worship with these friends and learn more about these ministries. Espero con ansias una visita de regreso para adorar con estos amigos y aprender más sobre estos ministerios.

We stopped by La Puerta de Esperanza - a shelter and ministry for teen mothers, offering material and spiritual support and a place to call home for these young women through the birth of their children and even for years to follow, including completing of high school and, if they choose, college or professional education. This ministry was founded and is operated by Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Carroll - a retired U.S. Marine who felt called to missions in Mexico. Out in the countryside we visited the complex of Cristo Vive - a ministry for individuals recovering from addiction (and for some, life in the cartels - this is an established ministry with locations throughout Mexico). Cristo Vive Acuna serves approximately 150 men, women and children.

I met Pastor Jose Morales of Templo Dios Creador which is located adjacent to a large residential community with great need for ministry. The Verestugis mentioned the possibility of a community event in late December to reach out to the hundreds of families in this densely populated area.
These ministries were inspiring, beautiful, and to an extent, thriving, but the needs are great. There was much more to see but time did not allow, including the tent encampments of asylum seekers waiting across the border as they seek assistance. I was so moved by these encounters that I plan to return to Acuna for a follow-up trip.